Friday, October 9, 2009

Realizations....

Last September 26, our country was devastated by the typhoon Ondoy (international name: Ketsana). The Greater part of the eastern metropolis such as Quezon City , Pasig , Marikina and Rizal suffered mostly. Even our City (Pasay ) did not escape from it. We also suffered from waist deep muddy flood.

During that time, I realized valuable lessons in life:


1) If you can detached yourself from material things, it would be easy for you to let go when it’s time to let go…no matter how much those tangible things mean to you.

As I watch the flood swiftly entered our house in a matter of 3-4 hours, my mind went blank. My husband’s motorcycle was submerged on the water, so does our Refrigerator and Washing Machine. The material things he worked hard for while he is abroad.

2) Our Life is really borrowed. If it’s your time to go….no amount of money can spare you from the inevitable.

I prayed the rosary twice on that fateful Saturday while Ondoy was throwing lots and lots of rains. I asked God to make it stop so as to spare us; yet it didn’t. So I realized I was not praying right. Then I prayed again and said to God “Thy Will be done.”

3) A person’s life is not defined by the material things he or she possesses.

Hubby called around eight in the evening while the Heavy Downpour from Ondoy’s wrath is damaging the metropolis. I told him about my worries - that some of our major appliances are submerged in the flood and it would definitely cost us that much to have it repaired. He was so calm when he told me “Don’t worry about it; it’s just a material thing, what’s important now is that you’re safe.”

4) Each Natural Calamity really serves as a Great Equalizer.

I was watching the news about the other victims of this typhoon and my heart was really broken. I was actually trying to control my tears to fall. In the town of Marikina , where most of the victims lived in an exclusive subdivision or village, a great deal of their material possessions are damaged. My in-laws who lived in Cainta where victims too (they lived in a subdivision); they lost most of their possessions. Even Actors and Actresses we saw on the television where victims too. When natural disasters like this struck, we are all equals. There’s no rich or poor – we are both victims.

5) When you are blessed – then you should be a Blessing to others too.

I realized that my family and I (my in-laws and relatives included) are indeed blessed; Despite of the damages the flood cause in our possessions, our lives are still spared. I was deeply sad when I saw the dead people whose lives were not spared from the flood. Whatever help I can provide for those victims I should give now while I still can. So, despite of the fact that hubby and I spent a lot for repairs and helping my in-laws (financially) for their lost; I devote time to do whatever help I can do...even if it's small like donating my old clothes and shoes and slippers I no longer used.

God and Nature really had a way to teach us valuable lessons in Life.


No comments:

Post a Comment